Burtonwood Community Primary School recognises that maths is both a key skill within school, and a life skill to be utilised through everyday experiences. A high-quality maths education provides a firm foundation for understanding how maths is used in everyday life and activities, developing pupils’ ability to reason mathematically.
Through the teaching of maths, we aim to develop:
• A positive attitude towards maths and an awareness of the relevance of maths in the real world.
• A process of enquiry and experiment.
• An ability to solve problems and think logically in order to work systematically and accurately.
• An ability to work both independently and in cooperation with others.
• Competence and confidence in pupils’ maths knowledge, concepts and skills.
• An appreciation of the creative aspects of maths and an awareness of its aesthetic appeal.